Žilina, October 13, 2022. After being granted the Special Consultative Status in the Economic and Social Council within the United Nations (UN ECOSOC), Servare et Manere will also contribute to the fulfillment of the sustainable development goals of the 2030 Agenda in the Slovak Republic and in the partner countries of the international Peace Tree initiative. These goals represent the international direction of the United Nations in relation to people, planet and prosperity. The 2030 Universal Agenda has 17 Sustainable Development Goals and 169 related sub-goals, which were adopted at the 70th UN General Assembly on 25 September 2015. These goals and related sub-goals entered into force on 1 January 2016 and will guide the decisions of all countries during the following 15 years. Servare et Manere will fulfill selected goals of the 2030 Agenda through the international Peace Tree initiative. Thanks to the planting of memorial trees and international cooperation aimed at sustainable peace, the ambition of Servare et Manere will be to fulfill especially those goals of Agenda 2030 that are directly related to the basic ideas of the Tree of Peace.
- Goal 10 REDUCED INEQUALITIES: Reduce disparities within and among countries.
- Goal 13 CLIMATE ACTION: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. We have been fulfilling this goal since the very beginning of the initiative through the planting of memorial Trees of Peace. Fifteen of the sixteen warmest years since 1850 have occurred in the 21st century. 2015 was the warmest year on record.
- Goal 14 LIFE BELOW WATER: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources. This objective is related to the current and future activities of Servare et Manere in the Oceania region. This is the only project and initiative from Slovakia that has recorded noteworthy achievements in this area over the last decade. Climatic developments and the environmental burdens that plague this region have a direct impact on Europe in the current global era.
- Goal 15 LIFE ON LAND: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss.
- Goal 16 PEACE, JUSTICE AND STRONG INSTITUTIONS: Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies. Provide access to justice for all and build effective, transparent and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Goal 17 PARTNERSHIPS FOR THE GOALS: Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development. A successful sustainable development agenda requires a partnership between governments, the private sector and civil society. Servare et Manere, through the Tree of Peace initiative, partially fulfills this goal at the national level and with an international reach.